Re: Numbered backup stopped working

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: Numbered backup stopped working
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 23:17:37 +0000 (UTC)

In article <mailman.82.1162494747.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Kevin Rodgers  <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Rjjd wrote:
>> My emacs stopped making numbered backups.  Version 21.3.
>>
>> C-x C-s makes no backup, even on newly-visited file.
>>
>> I have these:
>> (setq kept-new-versions 10)  ;# newest versions to save
>> (setq version-control t)
>> (setq delete-old-versions t)    ;delete middle backups quietly
>>
>> Has anyone ever seen the backer-upper stop working?
>
>No, but:
>
>C-h v make-backup-files
>C-h v vc-make-backup-files
>C-h v backup-inhibited
>C-h v backup-enable-predicate
>C-h f normal-backup-enable-predicate
>C-h v temporary-file-directory
>C-h v small-temporary-file-directory
>
>--
>Kevin

Question: is there a way to get apropos, for variables,
to also show the current *value* of that variable?

Here's my doc for apropos:

apropos is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `apropos'.
(apropos APROPOS-REGEXP &optional DO-ALL)

Show all bound symbols whose names match APROPOS-REGEXP.
With optional prefix DO-ALL or if `apropos-do-all' is non-nil, also
show unbound symbols and key bindings, which is a little more
time-consuming.  Returns list of symbols and documentation found.

I set apropos-do-all to 1 and tried it, but got no
actual *values*.

[ASIDE: how to (interactively) do M-x apropos with
  the *prefix* "DO-ALL"?

  or, for that matter, how to write a lisp expr that does it?

 Here's an occur on do-all, for apropos.el:

26 lines matching "do-all" in buffer apropos.el.
     42:;; Added apropos-do-all option.
     46:;; Only call substitute-command-keys if do-all set.
     69:(defcustom apropos-do-all nil
    358:(defun apropos-variable (regexp &optional do-all)
    360:With optional prefix DO-ALL or if `apropos-do-all' is non-nil, also show
    364:                              (if (or current-prefix-arg apropos-do-all)
    370:                   (if (or do-all apropos-do-all)
    380:(defun apropos-command (apropos-regexp &optional do-all var-predicate)
    382:With optional prefix DO-ALL, or if `apropos-do-all' is non-nil, also
show
    390:                                           apropos-do-all)
    398:    (or do-all (setq do-all apropos-do-all))
    402:                                (if do-all 'functionp 'commandp))))
    448:(defun apropos (apropos-regexp &optional do-all)
    450:With optional prefix DO-ALL or if `apropos-do-all' is non-nil, also
    457:                          (and (not do-all)
    458:                               (not apropos-do-all)
    464:   (or do-all apropos-do-all)))
    511:(defun apropos-value (apropos-regexp &optional do-all)
    513:With optional prefix DO-ALL or if `apropos-do-all' is non-nil, also
looks
    518:  (or do-all (setq do-all apropos-do-all))
    527:                           do-all apropos-accumulator
    530:        (if do-all
    550:(defun apropos-documentation (apropos-regexp &optional do-all)
    552:With optional prefix DO-ALL or if `apropos-do-all' is non-nil, also use
    558:  (or do-all (setq do-all apropos-do-all))
    566:          (if do-all

Thanks in-advance for the do-all answers]

Back to having apropos also type out the *values* of the
variables finds?

Any idea?

(Sure would be simpler than having to (1) run apropos,
  then (2) for each variable found, do C-H v on it!)

Thanks!

David