help-debbugs

Re: Processed: your mail

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Processed: your mail
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 17:16:54 -0600

Josh wrote:
> I received the above reply after attempting to reopen this bug
> a few months ago based on the method described at
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/server-control.html

Sure.  That works.

Interestingly though your email does not show up in the log.  The log
does record a fakecontrol message from jrm.  I don't know why that
occurred that way.  Usually a control message would be logged.

> but it had no apparent effect, nor is it clear to me from
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12976 whether the
> bug was indeed reopened.  How can I tell?

First look at the bug report itself.  If it was closed then it will
have a line at the top such as:

  Fixed in version 24.4
  Done: Glenn Morris <rgm <at> gnu.org>

If it isn't fixed and done then it is still open.  The bug you are
inquiring about does not have Fixed or Done lines therefore is still open.

Second if you look at the index of bugs the bug number will be listed
in a section "Outstanding bugs" without a strike-through.  If the bug
is closed then the bug number will be formated strike-through.  This
bug is listed without a strike-through and is therefore still open.

In this case for whatever reason your control message did not get
logged.  I unusually see a fakecontrol was generated.  I don't know
why.  But it can be seen at the bottom of the bug log where it says:

  Did not alter fixed versions and reopened. Request was from Debbugs
  Internal Request <help-debbugs <at> gnu.org> to internal_control <at>
  debbugs.gnu.org. (Thu, 18 Jul 2013 16:33:02 GMT) Full text and rfc822
  format available.

The full message display says:

  Reported by: Joseph Mingrone <jrm <at> ftfl.ca>
  Found in version 24.2

I don't know why a fakecontrol was generated but it set the bug as
"found" in version 24.2.  If the bug is found in a version and not
fixed in a later version then it is not closed.

I am sure that Glenn will have a better explanation. :-)

Bob