h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] Introduction

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] Introduction
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 06:14:43 +0200

On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 17:39:17 -0400
bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> wrote:

> IIRC, we discussed allowing anonymous contributions via the
> h-client; but it did not seem to be worth the effort - a second
> idea was to hard-code a distro-specific login - that is
> effectively anonymous; but would allow certain clients to be
> blocked, if users of one particular distro were abusing it,
> without blocking all anonymous uploads
Would it be possible to somehow reuse existing infrastructures for
that?

For instance In Parabola, the same username / password works for
several things (the wiki, the bugreport system and so on) probably
thanks to LDAP.

So maybe there is a system a bit like SSO to enable the Parabola
infrastructure to safely validate a user without having the h-client
send the username / password in clear?

Maybe that could work for most FSDG distributions and in case
distributions do not have such system in place, we could also add other
common infrastructure like the FSF single sign-on login system for
instance.

Denis.