h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] Introduction

From: Damien Zammit
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] Introduction
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 13:37:49 +1000

Hi,

On 18/7/21 1:04 pm, Bone Baboon wrote:
> I would like to suggest an alternative to these two options of:
> * Fixing the current PHP h-node web application so that it is
>   maintainable.
> * Rewriting the application as a Python 3 web application.
>
> I would suggest converting the h-node web application into a Git
> repository.  This could be easier to accomplish as it can be done with
> stable existing free software.
>
> Here is an overview of the concept of converting h-node to a Git
> repository:
>
> * The existing h-node directories data would be converted to plain text
>   files in a directory structure.
> * The plain text files and directory structure would be part of the
>   h-node Git repository.
> * The plain text files would be in a format like markdown or org-mode.
> * The plain text files (h-node content) would be compiled to HTML and
>   served as a read only browseable static website.
> * A stagit or cgit static website to browse the h-node Git repository
>   would be served.
> * People who want to make contributions to h-node could clone the
>   repository and work on their contributions offline without a browser
>   or JavaScript using free software tools of their choice.
> * A web browser would be optional as all the interaction with the
>   repository could be done using Git.
> * Contributions would be submitted by Git patches and reviewed by
>   individuals with commit access to the h-node repository before being
>   merged.
> * Git being unfamiliar to some people could be mitigated by providing a
>   detailed tutorial on how to contribute to h-node using Git.
> * A Git repository and two static websites would be easier to maintain
>   than the h-node web application and it's database.
> * The Git repository approach would use several specialized programs
>   instead of a monolithic web application and it's database.
> * The Git repository approach would be more resilient to change as any
>   of it's components could easily by switched out with another existing
>   stable free software alternative.
>
> What do people think about h-node being converted to a Git repository?

I think that is a great idea!

One thing I'm not sure about is how to maintain the different translations.
I suppose they could go in different sub folders with the same file names so
that there
can be buttons that link to the different translations on the static site.

That could work, and solves the problem of having to maintain a database
with sensitive password hashes per user.  Although it raises the barrier for
contribution,
and also means someone has to review all changes and merge them into the main
site every time.
(As well as have a deployment mechanism that pulls the latest changes and
recompiles the site).

Who would be the reviewer/merger?

Cheers,
Damien