guix-devel

Re: August/November update on qa.guix.gnu.org and related things

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: August/November update on qa.guix.gnu.org and related things
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2023 20:19:06 +0000

Suhail <suhail@bayesians.ca> writes:

> Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> writes:
>
>>  - The README is published at https://qa.guix.gnu.org/README
>
> The README seems more focused on task planning and TODO items than
> explaining how to use the qa.guix.gnu.org website. Could you please
> provide a reference for the latter?

There isn't much documentation for QA, mostly because I want to see it
improve so that you don't need documentation to use it.

> Specifically, I submitted a patch some while ago:
> <https://qa.guix.gnu.org/issue/66644>. Its QA status is marked as
> unknown with a few items highlighted in red. While the UI helps draw
> attention to those items, it's not clear (to me) how to remedy them and
> who is responsible for doing what. I.e., what are the next steps? I
> would like to get that patch reviewed and merged in some way, but I
> don't know what, if anything, I can do to help with the matter.

I had a look at the QA page for #66644 and yeah, the red highlighted
bits where builds which hadn't happened yet.

I think it's fair to say that these shouldn't be styled the same as
failed builds, so I've changed the styling now. I've also added a new
issue status for when QA is waiting on builds to happen to provide more
information.

So yeah, QA isn't currently pointing out anything for you to do on this
issue.

>> I'd also really like to see some testing of the patch review feature
>> in QA, since I think trying to get people without commit access
>> reviewing patches will really help speed up getting things reviewed
>> and merged.
>
> Is there a document that outlines how to get started and/or
> pre-requisites that one must have before reviewing certain aspects?

On the page for each issue on qa.guix.gnu.org, there's a list of common
things to check. That form gives a way to record a review when you think
the patches look good to merge.

There's also some content in the manual that might be useful when
reviewing patches:

  https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Packaging-Guidelines.html
  https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html

But there's no pre-requisites to reviewing Guix patches, so the best way
to learn is to start looking to review things.