guix-devel

Re: IDEA: missing-tests-pypi-error? condition

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: IDEA: missing-tests-pypi-error? condition
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2023 12:07:44 -0400

Hi,

Munyoki Kilyungi <me@bonfacemunyoki.com> writes:

> Hi Maxim!
>
> Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com>
> aliandika:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Munyoki Kilyungi <me@bonfacemunyoki.com> writes:
>>
>>> "jgart" <jgart@dismail.de> aliandika:

>>> What's the policy on this.  Shouldn't we prefer
>>> upstream over PyPI?  Sometimes, PyPI versions lag
>>> behind upstream versions.
>>
>> There's no written policy about it at this time, but I think it's common
>> knowledge in Guix that we try hard to:
>>
>> 1. Unbundle dependencies (that one is documented)
>> 2. Run test suites (that one isn't)
>>
>> We could hint at this globally in the contributing section, and perhaps
>> expound with more specific details in the Python Modules contributing
>> section, mentioning that when the PyPI source archive lacks tests,
>> fetching from the git repository should be preferred.
>>
>> Another thing we could do is default to fetch from git for the Python
>> importer.
>>
> Thanks for this info.  I'm dedicating an hour of
> my day from work to try to contrib to the
> eco-system with Jgarte's help.  What's, if I may
> naively ask, the process for documenting this
> knowledge?  I can take a stub at trying to
> document this and asking for reviews.

That's a pretty cool workplace you've got :-).

The process would be the same as for authoring any other changes to
Guix.  You'll want to 'make doc/guix.info' to test your changes (or just
'make'), and you can review the new work with 'info doc/guix.info'.

'info Texinfo' can be used as a handy reference for the Texinfo
specifics.

--
Thanks,
Maxim