guile-sources

Re: magic.scm

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: magic.scm
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 22:11:37 +0200

() Neil Jerram <address@hidden>
() Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:16:48 +0100

   Vaguely interesting, I guess, but why?

As usual, it depends on what you want to do.

Wearing the Emacs hacker hat, the primary attraction is that
magic.el will be released under GPLv3+, and the copyright
assignment readily (already, in fact) obtained.  From a paren
lover's pov, the compiled data structures (for a peek, see new
stuff at <http://www.gnuvola.org/data/>) are certainly nicer to
work with.  From a programmer's pov, there are now factoring
opportunities to explore (by exposing entry points) in addition
to the obvious performance optimization beckonings.  From the
bird's pov, i suppose, it can be seen as yet another target for
unexpected droppings.  :-/

   Does it allow (or promise to allow) us to do anything that we
   can't do by calling file?

I cannot say what we can or cannot do.  Each person decides that
individually.  The code doesn't promise anything; it's just code.

thi