gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] 'scons check' installs files, fails on pyserial

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] 'scons check' installs files, fails on pyserial
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2018 12:42:42 -0600

On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 16:57:43 -0700
"Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> wrote:

> You left out the line before, which would have saved a lot of
> speculation:
>
> check_compile(["python-compilation-regress"], ["gpscap.py",
> "gpssim.py", "jsongen.py", "leapsecond.py", "maskaudit.py",
> "test_maidenhead.py", "test_misc.py", "test_xgps_deps.py",
> "valgrind-audit.py", "gps/__init__.py", "gps/client.py",
> "gps/fake.py", "gps/gps.py", "gps/misc.py", "gps/watch_options.py",
> "gegps", "gpscat", "gpsfake", "gpsprof", "ubxtool", "zerk", "xgps",
> "xgpsspeed", "SConstruct"]) scons: ***
> [/usr/local/bin/gegps] /usr/local/bin/gegps: Permission denied
>
> check_compile() has been around forever.  I can't see it ever
> worked when non-root.  Not sure it ever did what it was supposed to
> do.

I've been compiling as a non-root user for a long time, and this is the
first complaint I've gotten from it. So I suspect the problem has been
introduced since 3.17. And the last time I emailed the list was 1
Sept., so I suspect the problem had been introduced since then.

> A whole new rabbit hole to fall into.

I'll see if I can make it show up by bisecting.

--
"When we talk of civilization, we are too apt to limit the meaning of
the word to its mere embellishments, such as arts and sciences; but