Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r29026 - /libs/gui/branches/testplant_1/Source/NSMenuV

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r29026 - /libs/gui/branches/testplant_1/Source/NSMenuView.m
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:11:35 +0100

Doug Simons schrieb:
> Author: dpsimons
> Date: Mon Nov 16 23:51:14 2009
> New Revision: 29026

> Log:
> fix problem with mouse tracking being off in submenus that are shifted to
> stay on screen
>
> Modified:
>     libs/gui/branches/testplant_1/Source/NSMenuView.m

I think that this is an important patch we should discuss on this
mailing list. The patch clearly is wrong, as it is only trying to
address the result of a problem, but not the problem itself. What
happens is that after opening a submenu the interaction of the mouse has
an offset, when the window manager repositions the submenu. I think that
this is caused by the code not accepting any repositioning events for
the submenu. I would expect that the backend tries to tell gui where the
submenu window did get positioned, but as we are in a tracking loop we
ignore these events.
An easy solution would be to run the normal event loop for a short time
after we attach a new submenu, but this looks like just another hack.
Any better idea, how to resolve the issue?