Re: gnustep-make experiment

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: gnustep-make experiment
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 07:16:09 -0800

On 2007-01-25 06:48:50 -0800 Nicola Pero <address@hidden> wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions

You seem to think that the current solution lacks:

1. a way to compile without setting GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES

2. a way to get the GNUstep bundle/libs/tools search paths for use in configure scripts etc.

I agree we can do better to address those. Solutions that came to mind as natural ones would be to --

1. have a (trivial) makefile fragment that locates gnustep-make and you can include in your project to make it bootstrap without having to rely on GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES being set (I suppose we should also
consider just putting it into your make include path).

true, this could be something similar to what i put in gnustep.make

GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES ?= $(shell pkg-config --variable makefiles gnustep)
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

this should actually work with older installations of gnustep.

the whole make bootstrap path thing that is admittedly just a hack
but "include gnustep.make" was easier to remember than adding the above, shell snippet if adding some new line to makefiles is acceptable i'd be completely fine with that.

maybe thats not what you meant though, its another idea anyhow...

I was now feeling like jumping in and implementing all that, but it will likely be a few iterations and discussions before we get something good and stable, and if we're trying to make a release in the next few weeks, it's not the right time to add new stuff.

I most definately agree on this

I'd rather spend some time documenting what we already have before we try working on the next steps (nobody seems to have a clue about all the new stuff in gnustep-make). So can we come back to this in a few weeks ? ;-)

Sure, thanks for hearing me out :D