Re: Legacy applications and headers

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Legacy applications and headers
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:05:04 -0700

On Friday, March 19, 2004, at 08:40 AM, David Ayers wrote:

My request is to change these statements into:
#ifdef GNUSTEP_BASE_LIBRARY
#include <Foundation/NSArray.h>
#include <Foundation/NSException.h>
#include <Foundation/NSZone.h>
#else
#include <Foundation/Foundation.h>
#endif
It won't change anything in the GNUstep environment, however makes a bit difference when using this on MacOSX.

I believe the test was intended to insure when GDL2 is build against other OPENSTEP-like Foundation libraries (like libFoundation maybe) that we only wanted to use the precompiled headers for Apple's Foundation, so therefore we need a test against some marker of that particular Foundation. I was under the impression that NeXT_Foundation_LIBRARY was predefined by the Foundation headers, I guess I was wrong. Maybe there is another marker we could use?

Now as Skyrix seems to have abandoned libFoundation (and I have no idea if GDL2 would have ever worked with it) we might have a true binary situation (ie. either GNUstep or Cocoa). So the proposal may be a practical approach. Yet, I'd like it to be consistent with the -core libraries, so if -core (ie. -baseadd) takes up this convention, -gdl2 and -gsweb can follow. (And as we include -baseadd headers you'll need the consistency also.)

Seems like a good idea. Since we control the definition of GNUSTEP_BASE_LIBRARY we will always know when it will be used (and the other case should work on any system anyway).