Re: [gNewSense-users] What part of Debian is nonfree?

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] What part of Debian is nonfree?
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 13:55:48 +1000

On Sat, 14 May 2011 16:15:54 +0100
Michael Dorrington <address@hidden> wrote:

> Quiliro Ordóñez wrote:
> > Thank you Michal and Michael.
> >
> > So this means Debian has still many packages that are nonfree
> > besides the kernel that now is 100% free?
>
> I would not say there are "many packages that are nonfree" in the
> 'main' repository and only the 'main' repository is configured on
> install. The official installer is free software. The kernels are
> consider compliant with the DFSG by Debian but I do not know if
> gNewSense consider them free or non-free software.

We / linux-libre don't consider them completely free they still
recommend proprietary software (through the firmware loading mechanism
printing the name of the required proprietary firmware and saying its
needed).

> However, there is more to it than that. AFAIK, gNewSense aims to
> create a "Free System Distribution" as defined in:
> http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html
> where as Debian aims to create a distribution given in the "set of
> commitments" of Debian Social Contract:
> http://www.debian.org/social_contract

Yeah, different goals.

> There is more information at
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/common-distros.html
> but I think the Debian entry needs to be redone.

I'm curious, why do you think that?
thanks,

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au