Re: [gNewSense-users] What part of Debian is nonfree?

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] What part of Debian is nonfree?
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 17:11:10 +0100

On 08/05/11 06:23, Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Sat, 07 May 2011 19:53:30 +0200
> address@hidden (Michał Masłowski) wrote:
>
>> http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/gnewsense/metad/annotate/head:/parkes/blacklist.nonfree
>> lists some non-free packages from main.
>>
>> http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/gnewsense/metad/annotate/head:/parkes/blacklist.needsclean
>> lists packages which contain or recommend non-free software, but could
>> be modified into free ones.
>>
>> http://libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines
>> is the canonical resource on this topic.
>>
>> The nonfree repository of Debian is probably also non-free.
>>
>> At least some packages in contrib require non-free dependencies.
>> Others could be modified to not need them or be used with free
>> replacements for them (e.g. with free Java implementations).
>
> Contrib is for software that depends on items in non-free or is just a
> wrapper around a downloader for non-free data.
>
> The other big thing that would be considered non-free in debian is the
> doco - eg, the wiki giving instructions on installing non-free software.
> kk

Surprisingly, you might want to include some of the packages from
Debian's non-free repository as they were moved to 'non-free' because
they are under the GFDL licence which is considered DFSG-incompatible.
http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#Licenses_that_are_DFSG-incompatible
I don't know what gNewSense's position is on the GFDL.

An example is the automake documentation
<http://packages.debian.org/automake1.9-doc> which taken from GNU
automake package available on the GNU website
<ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/automake/>.

Mike.