ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] Videos hosting and promotion

From: Sylvain
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] Videos hosting and promotion
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 12:24:07 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 06:15:40PM -0400, John Sullivan wrote:
> There is a version up and running already, and the work was done mainly
> by volunteers Jason Self and James Turner (in a virtual machine operated
> by address@hidden). To be honest, I'm not sure what the current
> hold-up is. It would be good to discuss it in #gnu-webmasters on
> Freenode -- jxself and jturner are both generally there. Jason can be
> reached at address@hidden also.
>
> So, we launched the instance at media.libreplanet.org by publishing a
> batch of videos from LP2013:
> <http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/first-batch-of-videos-from-libreplanet-2013-published>.
>

> I would love to use the GHM videos as an opportunity to launch the new
> audio-video.gnu.org in a similar fashion.

The current state is: an empty GNU MediaGoblin instance is installed
on a new VM for the next audio-video.gnu.org.
The remaining work is to migrate old videos to the new website.

Now, I also took time to install a GMG instance locally.
My immediate feeling is : GMG is still in early development, and will
require patches/contributions to make it work.

Pros:
- Works for basic uses : http://media.libreplanet.org/
- Videos can be grouped by tag and/or single-level categories.
- Very nice project goals and philosophy.
- Nice support on IRC.

Cons:
- No actual releases, so you need to use git HEAD.
- Too broad error messages/handling, requires time to investigate
  issues.
- Currently requires actual contribution to the development to get
  something ready.
  ( For instance, uploading a .ogv video triggered 2 bugs, one fixed
    right away via IRC, the other not (but reported nonetheless).
    Transcoding is performed by default and inefficient (2-3x size for
    smaller resolution).  Documentation was missing on how to disable
    it, I reported another bug with a patch, and wrote additional
    documentation on the wiki after trial-and-error and code reading.
    I also expect that transcoding will be disabled differently in the
    future. )
- No search, subtitling, or 'related videos panel' support, though
  it's planned.

So as I said, it works, but we can't expect to migrate all
audio-video.gnu.org without some amount of contribution.
But I don't have time for this level of contribution at the moment :/

--
Sylvain