ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] Videos hosting and promotion

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] Videos hosting and promotion
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 18:15:40 -0400

Sylvain <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 12:11:20PM -0400, John Sullivan wrote:
>> Luca Saiu <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > Thanks everybody for helping to make this GHM as enjoyable as it was,
>> > and for the kind words.
>> >
>> > I'll post updates here as soon as the videos are available.
>>
>> It would be great to have the videos on audio-video.gnu.org.
>>
>> It would be even greater if we could get some help to finish the setup
>> of the new GNU MediaGoblin-based site there to host them. :)
>
> About MediaGoblin, this was mentioned during the meeting, and I may
> help :)
> Can you tell more about this plan to host a MediaGoblin instance ?

There is a version up and running already, and the work was done mainly
by volunteers Jason Self and James Turner (in a virtual machine operated
by address@hidden). To be honest, I'm not sure what the current
hold-up is. It would be good to discuss it in #gnu-webmasters on
Freenode -- jxself and jturner are both generally there. Jason can be
reached at address@hidden also.

> Btw, can you also tell what is the difference between ftp.gnu.org/video
> (aka balance.fsf.org/video) and audio-video.gnu.org ?
> How does one upload stuff to ftp.gnu.org/video ? It was used for GHM
> 2010 apparently (with a hidden copy at audio-video).

All of our solutions so far for distributing video have been ad hoc. I
want to settle just on two GNU MediaGoblin instances -- one for
LibrePlanet, which will (and does, at media.libreplanet.org) include
things from our conferences but also potentially other things, and one
specifically for GNU, at audio-video.gnu.org. We will probably relocate
old videos in those places once they are ready and chugging along.

So, we launched the instance at media.libreplanet.org by publishing a
batch of videos from LP2013:
<http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/first-batch-of-videos-from-libreplanet-2013-published>.

I would love to use the GHM videos as an opportunity to launch the new
audio-video.gnu.org in a similar fashion.

People in #mediagoblin on Freenode are very helpful for answering
questions for any difficulties encountered.

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://status.fsf.org/johns | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.