ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] [gnu-prog-discuss] Planning the next GNU Hackers Meeti

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] [gnu-prog-discuss] Planning the next GNU Hackers Meeting
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 12:42:01 +0100

> And a system like Android/Linux doesn't help a Iota with this matter as
> all those interesting low level bits are non-free there.
It does not help and I'd even say it makes the situation worse since there's
an environment which exists, which works, and lets "Open Source" projects live
happily. Only a fraction of developpers might be interesting in having a 100%
free system, the same way *some* GNU/Linux users are happy using Nvidia
propietary obfuscated drivers, and this mitigates the motivation for rewriting
new drivers. The Nouveau project is here, but it took a long time before it
started. Lots of geeks are just happy using Androïd and ignore the fact
there's a need for a proprietary driver to handle the latest Tegra chipset and
globally, the system is just non-free.

Have a nice day,

Christian.

--