gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] mouse scrolling dragged files

From: Michael
Subject: [gcmd-dev] mouse scrolling dragged files
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 02:30:35 +0200

SO here we are ;)

I think this is a main issue, meanwhile, because most newcomers *will* start
with standard mouse navigation. I've seen people getting into trouble with this
bug personally every time i installed a linux for someone else, and i'm tending
to recommend konqueror or even nautilus just for this sole reason...because
drag&drop is a main usage feature of any graphical file manager and it just
needs to work.

scenario:

(1) Enter /usr/share/doc (because it's a long folder list)
(2) Drag the BUGS file from the gcmd source from the opposite pane over this
long file list without dropping it anywhere.
(3) Try to scroll down to a far destination folder by moving mouse pointer
(file still undropped) around the lower end of the file list

Result: It will not scroll.

(4) Press ESC to cancel the operation

(5) Scroll down the long file list to some arbitrary folder, say,
/usr/share/doc/gnome-commander.

(6) Drag the BUGS file from the opposite pane and try to drop it into
/usr/share/doc/gnome-commander.

Result: The file list immediately starts scrolling *up*, rendering it
impossible to drop the BUGS file into the proper location.

There's more madness around this bug, but i think it's all about the same gtk
thing (which never worked very well in any application, for my taste) and the
bottom line is clear.
Well, it kinda works in nautilus.