gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] [NEW] Advrename on steroids

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] [NEW] Advrename on steroids
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 06:21:58 +0100

It's nice you work on this, Piotr, advrename indeed was the most used gcmd
feature for me in the last months.

>     - removal of Options buttons - all counter entries are now
>       accessible directly from dialog window.

Good idea, i use $c nearly every day...hmm, howbout making c=2 default ?

Or just a better idea, how taking the number of selected files as a base for
the (dynamic) default ? That is, c=log(n)+1
For example, it happened that i renamed >100 camera downloads with c=2, and ran
into huge trouble to sort out the right order later (you know, file/image
managers sorting 100 after 10 and such).

wow. I need to think about what i can do now...

Maybe we can convert very long filenames now to CamelCase and vice versa.
(Any suggestion ? ;)

Would be nice to also have 'remove all blanks' as an option then.

>       http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/stable/glib-regex-syntax.html

How about linking that in the Help ?

>     - malformed regexes are marked in red

that's nice (much better than crash ;)

>     - removal of Up/Down buttons – just use drag-n-drop

so you finally ditch key navigation ... ^^

> Results:
>     - new columns: file size and mdate

Somehow i seem to see ctime instead, or at least it's not updated after 'apply'.

>     - context menu (please do try)

How about access to intview (F3), in case you like to check if some image file
really is what you think it is...yes you can do that in the main window but
then have to throw away toe selection.

>     - double click shows file properties
>     - drag-n-drop – allows rearrangement of files (useful with counters)

That's really cool now. Together with intview access, i could re-arrange my
images (which i have to do often)

> Apply button:
>     - applies changes to the files, but does NOT close
>       the dialog window.

Somehow it feels a little bit odd that there's no feedback that anything went
fine...like successful renames painted red and blinking wild...or maybe it
would feel better if mtime works ?

>       The file list is updated with new file names
>       (marking the failed renames)

that's good. hmmm...could this be done in preview too ? Could be helpful.

For example i remember i once wondered what would happen if a rename would
overwrite another file, and i went to try it out. With on-the-fly color
feedback, it would be clear immediately.

ok, so far.

btw most used...do you know ingimp.org ? I installed it because it makes sense.