gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] [NEW] exiv2: replacement for libexif and iptcdata librari

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] [NEW] exiv2: replacement for libexif and iptcdata libraries
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:48:41 +0200

ok here we are.

First of all, Exif Tags are not explicitly mentioned in the configure log, but
they do work !

(1)

The property window is resizable now, that's ok. I can see and open "Exif",
"File", and "Image".
HOWEVER: Opening the Exif metadata 'folder' shows a solid single "Maker note"
line (with no line breaks) in a now approx. 8000 pixel length....wow.
The winodw is not resizable only in x, and only in this special case.
The others open a resizable window of normal size. But they don't try to show
such long lines of course.

This is wmaker window manager,
Version: 0.92.0-6.1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1), libfontconfig1 (>= 2.4.0), libwraster3, libx11-6,
libxext6, libxft2 (>> 2.1.1), libxinerama1, cpp

Attached the output of
exiv2  -p v  SIMG0254.jpg
exiv2  -P xln  SIMG0254.jpg

You can see the tag "0x927c MakerNote" does exist but the data is omitted by
exiv2:

0x927c Photo        MakerNote                   Undefined 264  (Binary value
suppressed)

(2)

Hmmm...what i really like with Gimp and mcview is they show the xy resolution
of image files.
It's very handy in many cases, e.g. if you quickly want to verify if your
batch-rescaling actions worked (or why not) or to decide what picture is ok for
upload on website.

How does mcview do it ? I see it works for jpg, png, gif, and xpm. I guess for
nearly any format.
Piotr, how hard or ugly would it be to add that to the 'Image' metadata ?

(3)

What's installed now is:

/ r: dpkg -l *exi[v,f]* | grep ^ii

ii  exiv2          0.14-2         EXIF/IPTC metadata manipulation tool
ii  libexif-dev    0.6.16-1       library to parse EXIF files (development fil
ii  libexif12      0.6.16-1       library to parse EXIF files
ii  libexiv2-0     0.14-2         EXIF/IPTC metadata manipulation library
ii  libexiv2-dev   0.14-2         EXIF/IPTC metadata manipulation library - de
ii  libkexiv2-1    0.1.5-1+b1     Qt like interface for the libexiv2 library (
ii  libkexiv2-dev  0.1.5-1+b1     Qt like interface for the libexiv2 library (

The qt stuff is needed by digikam, a camera sucking KDE app which i use
frequently.
libexif12 is needed by many qt and gtk programs, like digikam, gimp, and
gphoto2.
Strange enough, digikam depends on libgphoto2-2-dev, which in turn depends on
libexif-dev.
So that's all just like it should be.

Here is my latest checkout & compile (attached.)
build.log is what my gcmd build script logs, besides stdout and stderr also
some custom task messages. It basically makes uinstall, using sudo root
permissions, them compiles (using autogen) as normal user in a user directory,
then makes install.

(4)

Just FMI, if i would give installing into a another users dir try, can i do it
with parsing options to 'make' ?  Hacking Makefile -> INSTALL doesn't seem to
be sufficient. The problem is locales and documentation, which gets installed
in a /usr subfolder where normal user has no write access.

Like this:

/usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file
`/usr/local/lib/gnome-commander/libgcmd.so.0.0.0': Permission denied

This gnome-commander dir has permissions:
drwxr-s---  3 root staff 4.0K 2007-07-21 15:25 gnome-commander/

... while 'staff' is my custom admin group, in which the system-maintaining
main user is member, so 'rws' there would work.

But i'm also unsure if a user installation dir would not move the whole thing
slightly away from being a useful debian beta test. Maybe it's better to stay
as close to standard madness as possible.