[ft] Freetype stuck in loop over emoji fonts?

From: François Guerraz
Subject: [ft] Freetype stuck in loop over emoji fonts?
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 17:52:39 +0100

Hello,

I have reported a bug to Gnome [1] but not su surprisingly given the
backtrace they consider it's more likely to be a freetype bug.

I think this is triggered when trying to render some text with emojis
with a combination of installed font (Segoe UI Emoji) and display
settings (full hinting seems to make it more likely).

I would like to report it as a bug here but I'm not sure how to come up
with a way to reproduce the bugs reliably so that you guys can take a
look at it.

Is there any command line tool that I can use to have freetype render a
given character string on screen or on a file ? I tried imagemagick's
"convert" but it does not do it (it does not crash but maybe it's
because it's forcing B&W rendering or because I specify the emoji font
and therefore it does not behave exactly like gnome, which only uses
the font for the emojis).

Or if any developer here runs gnome maybe you can try to reproduce it
from there?

Let me know how I can help.

Regards,

François