Re: [ft] Monochrome rendering changes with 2.8

From: Christian Demmer
Subject: Re: [ft] Monochrome rendering changes with 2.8
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 14:37:51 +0200

> You've hit a bug in FreeType, already fixed in git.  MONO rendering
> should not be affected by selecting v40.

OK.

> Only FreeType versions 2.7 to 2.8 (inclusively) need v35 for MONO due
> to the bug.

>> 2) In some cases the ascender / descender values changed.
>>
>>> From 2.6.3:
>>  font.fm.textHeight        12
>>  font.face.size.metrics.ascender         9       576
>>  font.face.size.metrics.descender        -2      -128
>>
>> To 2.8:
>>  font.fm.textHeight        12
>>  font.face.size.metrics.ascender        10       640
>>  font.face.size.metrics.descender        -3      -192

Did a build from git this morning [5f2a72cb] ( I hope I did it right;
not used to autotools black art) and I still observe the "new" values
for ascender and descender.

In addition I see that if I remove enforcing truetype
interpreter-version 35 I get better glyph shapes again, but the spacing
between glyphs is still broken (too close, see image below) compared to
v35.

Thanks for your support

Chris