Re: [ft] TrueType interpreter modes: v35 v v40

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] TrueType interpreter modes: v35 v v40
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 02:21:17 +0200 (CEST)

> It's said (1) that the new v40 TrueType interpreter mode works
> better than v35 while retaining the same speed however in my
> experience v35 is _miles_ better in regard to core fonts.

This is a matter of taste.

> FREETYPE_PROPERTIES=truetype:interpreter-version=35 firefox -> 35.png
> FREETYPE_PROPERTIES=truetype:interpreter-version=40 firefox -> 40.png

Yes, using FREETYPE_PROPERTIES helps you immediately, but...

> v40 looks dirty, bold and untidy, whereas v35 is neat, slim and
> beautiful.

...the main culprit of the bad appearance IMHO is lack of linear
blending in the GUI, something we can't influence.  I was told that
the latest Qt release (or the next one to come) supports linear
blending, so it might be worth to try it!

> I'm curious what I'm doing wrong.

Nothing, AFAICS.

> My freetype 2.8 is compiled this way:
>
> #define FT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_RENDERING
> /* #define FT_CONFIG_OPTION_USE_HARFBUZZ */
> #define TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER
> #define TT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_HINTING  ( 1 | 2 )
>
> Web fonts look totally ugly with both v35 and v40.

The main question is: How do those fonts look on Windows?  Can you
provide screenshots, pointing to differences?