Re: [ft] Re running make fails

From: Jan Engelhardt
Subject: Re: [ft] Re running make fails
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 09:56:02 +0200 (CEST)

On Wednesday 2015-05-20 07:39, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>Another possibility of problems is an incorrect setup of the dynamic
>linker.  For example, it might completely miss the `/usr/local/lib'
>directory for finding dynamic libraries.

I remember that behavior from non-Linux OSes, yes.
However, if the link editor finds /usr/local/lib/libz.a, then
it ought to also find /usr/local/lib/libz.so, and this is
because the link editor is not the same as the runtime linker,
as controlled by ld.so.conf:

>  On my GNU/Linux box, I can
>control this with having a `/usr/local/lib' line in file
>`/etc/ld.so.conf'

But on GNU/Linux, having /usr/local/lib in ld.so.conf is normally
not needed because it is already hardcoded.