Re: [ft] Re running make fails

From: Jeffry Killen
Subject: Re: [ft] Re running make fails
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 16:21:42 -0700

On May 19, 2015, at 2:39 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

maybe I should have included the immediately preceding line:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libz.a(inflate.o): relocation R_X86_64_32S
against `zcalloc' can not be used when making a shared object;
recompile with -fPIC

/usr/local/lib/libz.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
invocation)

Hmm, this looks like a non-FreeType problem.  Can you use `libz.a' at
all with other applications or programs?

   Werner

I don't know. I have been compiling and installing things like
zlib, libjpeg, libpng, and GNU make, I haven't seen and similar complaints I haven't seen any other error messages from software specific to `libz.a'.

I hope I can get past this. It is tying up the process of building php with
gd with freetype support.

What does "recompile with -fPIC" mean? Obviously, in trial, it is not
an option to /usr/local/bin/make (unless the syntax is wrong)

I.E.
/usr/local/bin/make -fPIC

JK