[ft] Tahoma rendering differently on Freetype & Windows

From: Lewis Pike
Subject: [ft] Tahoma rendering differently on Freetype & Windows
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 15:38:25 -0400

I've noticed a rendering discrepancy between Freetype and the Windows
font engine.  I'm comparing output from Freetype 2.5.5 and Windows
XP's native rendering.

The font in question is Tahoma 12pt rendered at 96 dpi.  Note the bowl
of the lowercase 'a' differs between the two in the attached image.
IMHO Freetype's rendering isn't quite as nice.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a bug, but to my eyes, it does seem
to look wrong.  It's amazing how a one-pixel difference can sometimes
be so immediately noticeable.

If this isn't a bug, is there a way for me to 'tune' the hinting to
match the results produced by Windows XP's native rendering?

.lewis