[ft] Crashing libfreetype.so.6.11.2

From: akovia
Subject: [ft] Crashing libfreetype.so.6.11.2
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 08:58:47 -0500

Hi,
I am trying to find some info on how to troubleshoot this. I have many programs crashing on my system and they all have libfreetype.so.6.11.2 in common. I work with a lot of fonts and have a gut feeling it's a bad font somewhere, but I'm not sure how to track it down. I have reinstalled all packages related to freetype that I could find (fontconfig, pango, etc..), but nothing seems to work. When trying to purge it, it wants to remove half of my system due to dependencies so I never followed through with that. Searches on the net and mailing list archives haven't turned up anything that has been able to help.

My system is close to unusable and am trying to avoid a completely new install. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

--
akovia
xubuntu 12.04.4 LTS