Re: [ft] freetype on small embedded device

From: Stuart Longland
Subject: Re: [ft] freetype on small embedded device
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 11:01:20 +1000

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 11:06:55AM +1000, Stuart Longland wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I did a search for this, but drew a blank.  I was wondering if anyone
> has tried embedding FreeType into a bare-iron firmware image (using
> newlib and FreeRTOS in my case)?

Well, I've managed to code up my own solution, using FreeType on a
desktop computer to pre-rasterise each of the glyphs, then writing some
code to draw the rastered glyphs to the screen.  I haven't done a lot of
testing, but early results are promising.

I have uploaded an early version of the rasteriser itself and the font
library that I've written thus far for interest; it is LGPL-2.1
licensed (with binary linking exception).

        http://www.longlandclan.yi.org/~stuartl/fontlib-0.0.1.tar.xz

Critique welcome.

Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)      .'''.
Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer  '.'` :
http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter             :.'

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.