Re: [ft] Bytecode hinter producing bad results, seems to be a regression

From: Vinnie
Subject: Re: [ft] Bytecode hinter producing bad results, seems to be a regression
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 12:51:39 -0800 (PST)

> You haven't told us which FreeType version you are
> using...  For bug
> reports, please always try the recent one, this is, 2.4.4.

Sorry about that and yes of course I'm using the most recent version.

> BTW, I'm not sure that `professional' fonts are intended
> for screen display, working at small ppem values.

By "professional" I mean I went to a website that looked legit (linotype.com)
and bought the font, as opposed to just pirating or using something from an
unknown foundry.

So it seems that the font I have is unhinted, hence the small size. I just
assumed that all TrueType/OpenType fonts that came from Linotype or other well
recognized foundries were loaded to the gills with hints but it seems I am
mistaken. The Adobe font I have seems to have plenty of hints so I will study
it. And I will try to find a version of Neue Helvetica 65 Medium that has a
full set of glyphs along with hints. Any ideas on where to get that?