Re: [ft] configuring freetype for only truetype support

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] configuring freetype for only truetype support
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 00:28:22 +0900

Hmm, docs/CUSTOMIZE recommends to edit ftmodule.h directly,
but the description of each line is not so easy in comparison
with module.cfg.

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 15:40:24 +0100
audioboy 77 <address@hidden> wrote:
>im trying to compile a compact version of freetype 2.3.9 with only truetype
>support.

I recommend to use 2.3.11 :-)

>to do this i configured ftmodule.h with only the following entry...
>
>FT_USE_MODULE( FT_Driver_ClassRec, tt_driver_class )
>
>However, calling  FT_Set_Char_Size results in a crash, in ftobjs.c, as shown
>in the attached picture, because "driver" is nil.
>
>How can i find out which modules I need to include to only support truetype?

The coverage of "to only support truetype" is dependent
with what you want to do. Please start from

FT_USE_MODULE( FT_Module_Class, autofit_module_class ) /* hinting */
FT_USE_MODULE( FT_Driver_ClassRec, tt_driver_class )
FT_USE_MODULE( FT_Module_Class, psnames_module_class )
FT_USE_MODULE( FT_Renderer_Class, ft_raster1_renderer_class )
FT_USE_MODULE( FT_Module_Class, sfnt_module_class )
FT_USE_MODULE( FT_Renderer_Class, ft_smooth_renderer_class )
FT_USE_MODULE( FT_Renderer_Class, ft_smooth_lcd_renderer_class )
FT_USE_MODULE( FT_Renderer_Class, ft_smooth_lcdv_renderer_class )

and find the minimum group fitting your purpose.

Keep it in your mind that current Windows bundles some
PostScript or CFF OpenType, so "only support truetype"
softwares cannot load all Windows fonts.

Regards,
mpsuzuki