Re: [ft] anti-aliasing question

From: Dave Calkins
Subject: Re: [ft] anti-aliasing question
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 12:09:48 -0500

You have to define FT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_RENDERING so that you can
select one of the three available colour filters with
FT_Library_SetLcdFilter.  There is no callback hook to add a new,
external colour filter function.

To get acquainted with subpixel rendering, please read

   http://www.grc.com/cleartype.htm

which gives an excellent introduction to the topic.

     Werner

Based on that article it seems the sub-pixel rendering is most effective when dealing with white text on a black background or visa versa. Any thoughts on the recommended approach for dealing with colored text? I know FreeType isn't designed to render, say, a blue glyph, so this is beyond the scope of what FreeType is doing.

But suppose you do use the sub-pixel rendering and end up with a nice color rendered glyph using this technique. However, now you want the text to appear blue to the user. It seems like shifting the color toward blue would mess up the sub-pixel rendering. Do you just have to abandon sub-pixel rendering in this case? I guess I'll have to do some tests and see how GDI acts in this case.

Also I would guess its dependent on the background color as well right? White text on black background would work great, but even white text on a blue background would likely disturb the sub-pixel rendering technique I would think.

In our case, we don't have a clear-cut foreground/background color since we're rendering on top of a 3D OpenGL scene, so you never know nor can you control what color will be behind the text. The text could be displayed over a blue 3D model, or over the black background and this could change as you rotate the view through the scene.

Anyway, just curious as to your thoughts on arbitrary colors in light of the sub-pixel rendering.