[ft] display string

From: samaram s
Subject: [ft] display string
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 17:09:13 -0500

Hi,
When i am using arial.ttf regular file as input to convert the given string.But i am not seeing them arranged in same line.
How to calculate baseline and how to show the images accordingly.
The following bitmap is forĀ  "alpk"

....****..*..*....*..*.....
..**...*..*..*....*..*.....
..*....*..*..*....*..*.....
..*...**..*..**..*...*...*.
...***.*..*..*.**....*..*..
..........*..*.......*.*...
..........*..*.......***...
..........*..*.......*.**..
..........*..........*..*..
..........*..........*..**.
..........*..........*...**

Here is the bitmap for "alp"

...****......*.***..
..**..**.....**..*..
.......*.....*....*.
....****..*..*....*.
..**...*..*..*....*.
..*....*..*..*....*.
..*...**..*..**..*..
...***.*..*..*.**...
..........*..*......

In the first image glyph "a" is shown only half."l" is very down.
I calculated using cbox for the above string,
bbox = [1 1 9 9] for glyph "a"
bbox = [9 1 12 12] for glyph "l"
bbox = [12 -2 20 9] for glyph "p"

I observed,though ymin is 1 for both characters "a and l" don't know why a is very up than "l".

Could anyone please help me how can handle to display char..Could these bbox measurements be helpful?Any examples?

Thanks so much...