Re: [ft] Vert advance on line break

From: Disch
Subject: Re: [ft] Vert advance on line break
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 10:01:35 -0800 (PST)

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> This is not correct.  If you try the ftdiff demo program you can see
> that you get good vertical distances using `metrics.height' for both
> the TTF and PFB variants of Courier.  It works for bitmap fonts also
> (however, ftdiff is slightly buggy since it shows incorrect results if
> you don't select the right ppem value).

Perhaps Courier was a bad example -- but I have several .fon files (one of
which is labelled courier) and using the given height value simply does not
work (it's always zero).  It does appear to work for .ttf fonts, but I'm not
restricting myself to those... so if it doesn't work for everything, I can't
use it (or at least I need to use something else in addition to it).

I thought I had instances where the height appeared to be much higher than
what it should be (making the font appear as if it were double spaced), but
after testing those fonts in other programs it seems as though that's just
the way those fonts are.

All these fonts work fine in text editors and word processors like Notepad
or MS Word -- so I'm wagering the API used for font rendering in those
programs does additional work to calculate the font height rather than using
what the font file suggests.  In any event it doesn't appear as though I can
use freetype to determine the line-to-line distance for any given font,
which sort of answers my original question.

I can upload one of the fonts in question if it's really necessary, but I've
already settled on an alternative solution so I don't really require further
assistance with this topic.

Thank you very much for all the help.