[ft] Pruning fonts

From: Johan
Subject: [ft] Pruning fonts
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:36:58 +0100

Hi!

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, so please tell me if that is
not the case.

I want to reduce the size of a font file (ttf) by removing characters
not used. The files will typically support asien languages and I will
only use a portion av the glyphs. The pruned file will be embedded in
a size restricted client, hence the need of reducing file size.
I already have a way of getting all the used characters in the client
(the characters NOT to be pruned).
The program will have to do the following in essence:
1. Open a ttf file
2. Remove all unused characters.
3. Save to a new ttf file.

The program should be platform independent and scriptable since it
will run in build scrips on different platforms. I would prefer to use
Java.

Dose any of you out there have any knowledge of such a product? If no
ready to use solution exist is there any good Java wrappers for
reading and writing font files in this manner out there?

Regards
johan