RE: [ft] FT_Face::family/style name

From: Nik Napalm
Subject: RE: [ft] FT_Face::family/style name
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:45:05 +0000

Memory isn't an issue, it's mainly speed, I've no idea what is actually loaded and processed when FT_New_Face is invoked, this isn't an issue when you have a handfull of fonts, I was more concerned when enumerating thousands, so yes, I guess it does too much works for my purpose, it's no big deal but would be very very handy to scan a file just for it's name and have no other processing.

thanks,

Nik.

> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:21:22 +0900
> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> CC: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: [ft] FT_Face::family/style name
>
> Hi,
>
> Could you describe the difficulty you have in more detail?
>
> The vanilla FT2 does not load whole of TTC/TTF to memory,
> it reads the content of TTF partially step-by-step, and
> setup the informations in FT_Face. Do you think still its
> memory consumation is too large? Or, do you think
> FT_Open_Face() does too many works for your purpose (e.g.
> bitmap strikes checking, glyph number counting, etc,
> although their memory consumation is not so serious) and
> you want to read "name" table directly to obtain its
> family and subfamily entries?
>
> # BTW, if you're working with softwares around freedesktop.org,
> # using fontconfig might be most easiest way to obtain the
> # list of pairs of the font file pathname and its family name.
>
> Regards,
> mpsuzuki
>
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:12:54 +0000
> Nik Napalm <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> >Hi all,
> > Is there anyway in FreeType to acquire the information gained from family_name/style_name wihtou having to the load the font into memory ? the reason I ask is I'd like to enumerate a list of fonts, however, doing a FT_New_Face for each font can be a slow process depending on the number of fonts.
> >
> >So, can anyone recomend using FreeType itself, else some other method of getting name(s)( from TTC) in a more optimised manner ?
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Nik.

What can you do with the new Windows Live? Find out