Re: [ft] Problem Rendering FreeType Fonts with OpenGL

From: Thomas K.
Subject: Re: [ft] Problem Rendering FreeType Fonts with OpenGL
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 23:48:12 +0200

sheep wrote:
Thomas K. wrote:
Hi Jimmy,

I suggest using a library like FTGL, [ http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/henryj/code/#FTGL ] which will handle the openGL drawing with much less hassle. FTGL can render as polygons, textures, pixmaps and in several other ways, it is also quite customisable (I'm doing so for my own purposes at the moment :).

Even if you'd rather do things yourself, then Looking at how FTGL works could give you some useful hints.

Regards, James

--
sheep

Hi sheep,

actually I've been using FTGL up until now. It's a really nice library, but I didn't find a way to access font metrics, which I need in order to lay out text. That's why I had to come up with my own way of doing things. Now, whereas I would love to take a look at the code of FTGL, I kinda would like to know what exactly is wrong with my code... because I've pretty much done it the way its written in the FreeType tutorial (and nehe's FreeType font rendering tutorial)... but it just doesn't want to work... and I seriously have no idea why.

Will take a look at the FTGL code though.