Re: [ft] Tweaking/Improving FreeType Antialiasing

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [ft] Tweaking/Improving FreeType Antialiasing
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 10:38:18 -0700

Tor,

Thanks for taking the time to respond, and sorry for the double post. I accidently sent from the wrong email address, but apparently somebody was nice enough to approve it for posting.

If I'm reading your post correctly, you're basically saying that getting text that looks the way I want is hopeless. I'm very sensitive to font appearance, but I'm not intimately familiar with all the terminology. It sounds like Linux has an API limitation? And this API limitation is what in turn makes the fonts look so miserable? (In my view.)

Regarding turning off hinting, wasn't that the default setting under FC5? I'm fairly sure I experimented around with turning on hinting (auto/bytecode) because the FC5 default was off. I wasn't happy with the FC5 default settings, not by a long shot.

If true, this sucks for me, because frankly, fonts are a big deal to me. I have to stare at them nonstop. I would nearly kill to get a browser that looks like Safari (or another OS X WebKit-based browser) under Linux. Even under OS X, Mozilla-based browsers have horrendous kerning - particularly of italic serif fonts. I love the feature set, but the kerning turns me off - despite using the system anti-aliasing - so I can't stand to use Mozilla more than the bare minimum.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I think one the largest barriers to using Linux on the desktop for me is the maddening font rendering quality. Where precisely is the problem coming in? Would it be possible to use an alternative desktop or window manager to get around it?

I did look at the examples you showed me. The first example looks somewhat better than what I normally see under Linux. The kerning is pleasant and the anti-aliasing appears to be strong enough to offer an accurate rendering of the text for that point size, although it has a distinctly soft/blurry look compared to 10.4's subpixel anti- aliasing, much like fonts looked under earlier versions of Mac OS X. I would be curious how well those settings work across a wide range of fonts.

Any additional thoughts/suggestions?

-Galen