Re: [ft] Glyph hinting problem with TT hinter

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Glyph hinting problem with TT hinter
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:33:16 +0200 (CEST)

> When we render glyph 58 (letter W) from the font Arial Unicode MS,
> we get asymmetric shape at some sizes. GDI displays the characters
> nicely.

Please be more specific.  Which size?  Can you provide a snapshot?

> The problem is in tt hinting interpreter apparently, because the
> shape is asymmetric a little if we draw the hinted geometry also.
>
> The quality of text with MS UI Gothic is also bad, when hinting is
> on.

Since I don't have this font I can't comment.

> TrueType hinter is used.
> Freetype version 2.1.10.
>
> May be this has been fixed in CVS?

At few sizes there is a slight asymmetry which is hardly noticeable --
most of those artifacts are `bugs' (yes, bugs) in the Windows
rendering engine which does some weird rounding, probably due to some
legacy code...