[OT] [Re: [ft] Font for multiligual applications with non GPL free licen

From: Adam D. Moss
Subject: [OT] [Re: [ft] Font for multiligual applications with non GPL free license
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:15:35 +0000

Frans Grotepass wrote:
I am looking for a font to use in our embedded application. I would prefer it if the font was as complete as possible for multiligual purposes.

If you're looking for an all-in-one wide-unicode-coverage free font
in TTF then you can pretty much forget it - these are just laughably
huge even if you can find them for free (which I'm not sure you
can).

But if you're looking for a clean, unexciting TTF font with
ISO-8859-1 coverage then try the liberal Bitstream Vera:
http://www.gnome.org/fonts/

Another option is the Bigelow & Holmes Luxi TTF from X11,
again ISO-8859-1.

GohaTibebZemen, again a TTF which is part of the X11 tree,
covers (I believe) Hebrew.

I haven't looked into non-TTF options.

--adam
--