Re: [ft] Font for multiligual applications with non GPL free license

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] Font for multiligual applications with non GPL free license
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 18:01:53 +0900

Hi

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 08:43:15 +0100
Frans Grotepass <address@hidden> wrote:
>I am looking for a font to use in our embedded application. I would prefer it
>if the font was as complete as possible for multiligual purposes.

You should state the conditions more clearly:

1. license
   you want more permissive than GPL? like MIT, BSD, public domain etc?

2. multilingual
   you want to use single language at the same time?
   or you want to use multi language at the same time?
   which languages you want to cover?
   some people define "multilingual" as the coverage of iso-8859-X.
   some people define it as that of iso-2022-X.
   some people define it as that of iso-10646-1.
   some people define it as that of iso-10646-1, 2 and later.
   nothing to say, you cannot support arabic, indic, and
   some CJK scripts without OpenType/TrueType GX text layout
   functionalities. you're looking for "free font" with such
   text layout infos?

Regards,
mpsuzuki