Re: [ft] How to determine font ascent

From: Anson
Subject: Re: [ft] How to determine font ascent
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:52:16 +0100

On 10/12/05, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

The concept of `vertically centering' is wrong IMHO.  Instead, I
suggest you arrange the menu items as if they were normal text, this
is, you put the glyphs of a line onto its baseline, and the glyphs one
line above with a distance of FT_Face->height from the previous
baseline.  This assures that

Agree.  But the question is how we can accurately determine the baseline to baseline distance.  In our environment we are not supporting computers but devices with small display.  We would also like to allow users to load their own font files as well.  Hence we can't afford "silly" space left in-between text lines.