[Freetype] Transparent text background

From: Farhad Khalafi
Subject: [Freetype] Transparent text background
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:25:42 -0700

Greetings All,

I have run into a problem with display of text against arbitrary
backgrounds. Here is what I do:

Determine the dominant background color by sampling the current pixel
values from device context (using GetPixel()).
Construct a gamma-corrected anti-alised palette using known text color
and dominant background color.
Display glyphs using standard procedures for transparent blts.

This works well on displays. I run into problem with printers that don't
generally support GetPixel() function for determining the current
background.

Does anyone know of an easier way to display glyphs against arbitrary
(possibly shaded) backgrounds?  There must be a simpler way!

Thanks.

address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>