Re: [Freetype] Licence issues

From: Edward Lee
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Licence issues
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 00:23:11 +0800

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002, Thibault Jamme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to release my project http://www.aptilis.com/ under the GPL licence,
> but I saw that Freetype 1 (the one I'm using) is covered by the BSD
> licencing scheme which appears incompatible.
>
> Does anyone know what the implications are? How to address them?

  From FreeType-1.5 FAQ,

--- >8 ---

23. What does the `free' in FreeType really means?

  The previous  releases of FreeType  (alphas and beta)  were placed
  under the LGPL.  FreeType 1.0, and later releases, come with an an
  alternate  license, inspired  from  the BSD,  Artistic, and  IJG's
  (Independent JPEG Group) ones.  In short:

  - You are  encouraged to  use and distribute  this program  in all
    kinds of products, including commercial ones.

  - You don't have to pay us anything for it (royalty-free).

  - You may not pretend you wrote it, or part of it that you may use
    in one of  your product, and you have to  state clearly that you
    use the FreeType code if you distribute products based on it, or
    parts of it (credits clause).

  - This source code is provided AS IS, with no warranty whatsoever,
    and we cannot promise support for it.

  From version 1.5  and later releases,  we added the choice for the
  user of the library to use the GNU General Public License instead.
  As a result,  you can  link the  Freetype library  with any GPL-ed
  software,  without any inconvenience;  however, you then have  the
  obligation to publish  all of the source code  of the products you
  release.

  The exact  and legal  terms  are in  the files  `docs/FTL.txt' and
  `docs/GPL.txt', respectively.

  Enjoy ;-)

  FYI.

Rgds,