Re: [Freetype] Supporting Non-Unicode enc. in BDF driver of ft2

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Supporting Non-Unicode enc. in BDF driver of ft2
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 18:33:27 +0200

Hi all,

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
I've just found that, the bdf driver inside freetype is only support

  unicode encoding. The the font is not encoded in Unicode, it will
  use adobe standard encoding. Would anyone can tell me the reason of
  Unicode encoding only in that piece of code??

Noone has implemented support for other encodings.  Volunteers
welcome.

I'm actually _against_ implemeting support for legacy BDF/X11
encodings within FreeType. This is our past, not our future, and
working on this would be a waste of time.

If you really need to deal with these, you'd better use
FT_Get_BDF_Charset_ID to determine the encoding, and handle
all character->glyph mappings yourself..

Regards,

- David Turner