[Freetype] Problem with rendering of OpenType (from PfaEdit) fonts in Fr

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: [Freetype] Problem with rendering of OpenType (from PfaEdit) fonts in FreeType
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 16:09:52 +0400

Hello All,

I found that the same font exported from PfaEdit to PostScript Type1 (.pfb)
and OpenType (.otf) formats, renders differently by FreeType.
(tested: FT 2.1.1, 2.0.9)

As an example, I tested Journal-SanSerif font (which is known to be rendered
well in PostScript Type1 format)
You can download it from here:
http://freetype.newmail.ru/misc/Journalnaya.zip

Problems (with OpenType version of font):
* Some letters are *jumping* over (or below) baseline.
Check glyphs Г Д К Л М Н О П Ф

* Hinting is also not so good as in PS T1 fonts.
I see visual artefacts in rendering of:
Numbers: 3 6 9 0
Latin: d p u B E F G O Q
Cyrillic:  й К Л Ё Ж Э Ю Я

* It seems to me that composite characters are also rendered in s atrange way,
like Cyr. Ы which includes glyphs Ь and I.

For convinience, I included screenshots of this font rendered with different
rendering engines, for the different packaging (font) format:

FreeType 2.1.1
-----------------
http://freetype.newmail.ru/misc/Journal-OTF-FT211.png
http://freetype.newmail.ru/misc/Journal-PFB-ATM41.png
http://freetype.newmail.ru/misc/Journal-TTF-FT211.png

ATM 4.1
-----------------
http://freetype.newmail.ru/misc/Journal-OTF-ATM41.png
http://freetype.newmail.ru/misc/Journal-PFB-ATM41.png

And finally PFB version whcih I have installed in KDE/KWord:
http://freetype.newmail.ru/misc/Journal-PFB-KWord.png

Can someone explain please where the problem is coming from, and suggest
wether it can be fixed? :-)

I have heard from George Williams that FreeType procsses OTF font through
different pass than PS Type1 (PFB).
Can this cause such artefacts?

AFAIK hints are the same in OTF and PFB versions of the same font...

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Vadim
--

Vadim Plessky