Re: [Freetype] Another bug in the BDF backend

From: Detlef Würkner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Another bug in the BDF backend
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 06:58:37 +0200

address@hidden (Juliusz Chroboczek) wrote:

> Take 8x13.bdf, and look at the strikes exported by current Freetype
> CVS; there is a single strike of size 8x13.  The PCF backend correctly
> exports this strike as 13x13.
>
> Recall that the size of a strike is in pixels per em; thus, for square
> pixels, the X and Y dimensions should be the same.  The size of a
> strike has no relation with the strike's bounding box.

What do you mean with "strike"? face->available_sizes? Thats of type
FT_Bitmap_Size:
----8<----
  /* <Struct>                                                              */
  /*    FT_Bitmap_Size                                                     */
  /*                                                                       */
  /* <Description>                                                         */
  /*    An extremely simple structure used to model the size of a bitmap   */
  /*    strike (i.e., a bitmap instance of the font for a given            */
  /*    resolution) in a fixed-size font face.  This is used for the       */
  /*    `available_sizes' field of the FT_Face_Properties structure.       */
  /*                                                                       */
  /* <Fields>                                                              */
  /*    height :: The character height in pixels.                          */
  /*                                                                       */
  /*    width  :: The character width in pixels.                           */
----8<----
and documented to be in "pixels", not in "pixels per em".

We had discussions about square or non-square bitmap sizes already,
but without a result. IMHO (dont have latest snapshot) the PCF driver
reports the height in pixels, but always the same width as height.
The BDF and FNT/FON driver report width and height in pixels. The
SFNT driver reports with and height of embedded bitmaps in pixels
per em. A standard behaviour would be fine...

Ciao, Detlef
--
_ // address@hidden
\X/  Detlef Wuerkner, Langgoens/Germany