[Freetype] FreeType bug report

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: [Freetype] FreeType bug report
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 19:35:54 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

Thanks a lot for the previous fix, I'll try it out tonight.

I'm currently exploring the possibility of moving XFree86 from the PCF
format to the sfnt format for bitmap fonts.  I've encountered a number
of minor bugs in FreeType 2.1.2 that prevent me from using such
bitmap-only sfnts.

1. FreeType crashes at ttgload.c:103 if hhea->number_Of_HMetrics is 0.
The problem is with k, which is assumed to be at least 1.

2. FreeType refuses to get an sbit that has a glyph index beyond
maxp->numGlyphs.  Note that the OpenType spec explicitly allows a font
to have no scalable glyphs, although it warns against legacy
rasterisers not being able to process such fonts.

3. FreeType refuses to load a font that has no loca or glyph tables.
See the above note.

For me, point 1 is not important (I've decided to generate a single
htmx entry), but I think that any crash of FreeType is a severe bug.
Point 2 is important, as it won't do to generate loca entries for all
glyphs: such a font is too difficult to distinguish from a bona fide
scalable font, and I want to generate a single loca entry (for
.notdef).

As to point 3, I don't care much about it; still, it might be handy to
generate fonts with no loca/glyf tables in order to prevent legacy
software from mistaking them for scalable fonts.

No rush, but do tell me what you've decided to do about the above.

Thanks,

                                        Juliusz