Re: [Freetype] Autohinting?

From: Chris Carlen
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Autohinting?
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 18:51:26 -0700

Vadim Plessky wrote:
Yep. Just returned (on Monday) from countryside, after great week end :-)

Ah good!  Thanks for your reply.

I think real question with bytecode interpreter is not where your location is, but where you are going to distribute that product. So, if you live in US and download RPM from Europe - it's ok. You do not violate any law.

Hmm, I'm not sure I undertstand how this can be true? I thought that if you are simply in the US, and use the patented technology, then it violates the patent. I undertstand that on a practical level, it is very improbable that anyone using the bytecode interpreter is going to get a knock on the door from the font police, but for someone planning to deploy Linux desktop computers in a corporate environment where things have to be by the book, then it might be very serious to know for sure what can be done or not.

I wonder if anyone knows anything about what Apple would charge for a "personal bytecode interpreter license."

Now about possible solutions to your problem.
The best is IMO to use *pre-hinted* PostScript Type1 fonts, with anti-aliasing enabled (and do not use auto-hinter, at least for Serif fonts) I did several experiments with Arial and Times New Roman, converting them to PostScript Type1 and manually re-hinting them, and I can tell you that results are amaazing!

That is very interesting. How does one manually re-hint their Type 1 fonts? Do you need expensive Adobe software? Is such software available for Linux? I imagine you are getting a grid on your screen with the glyph shown with big pixels, and you can move the dots around where you want then write that modified font to a file?

I had actually been wondering about this the other day, if a possible way for Linux distributors to get away with shipping good looking fonts in the US would be to use the truetype with embedded bitmaps, which I suppose could be manually hinted.

I have to admit here that I do not use StarOffice or OO - they are too slow for my computer (Pentium III/600) and WYSIWYG in those office suits is not very good.

Hmm, 600MHz should be fine. My wife's computer is 600MHz P3 and it works Ok. Are you on Windows or Linux? We are using Linux.

I am not surprised here...
Font technologies, while perceived as something *given*, are not easy to understand and develop. High-quality outlines are rare, and usually copyrighted by big typeface houses. And hinting process adds another level of complexity to this puzzle.

Intersting subject certainly.

Good day!

Christopher R. Carlen
address@hidden