[Freetype] Autohinting?

From: Chris Carlen
Subject: [Freetype] Autohinting?
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 09:21:52 -0700

Hi:

Hello, is anyone home?  :-)

I just subscribed to the list to learn more about freetype. I haven't seen any traffic yet, so I wonder if there's really any activity here?

Ok, so here's my question:

I have recently become very interested in freetype because I am a Linux desktop user, and a user of Star Office/OpenOffice as well. However, truetype fonts still look crummy in these programs, except for the truetypes that are included with SO. (There are no fonts included with OO.) I have learned that the freetype2 lib, with the bytecode interpreter enabled can fix the problem, and can make the Linux font presentation fully professional! Trouble is, I live in the USA and can't use the bytecode interpreter :'-(

What's the likelyhood that the autohinting module of freetype can be eventually made to render TT fonts without using the bytecode interpreter, just as well as if the bytecodes were being used?

Thanks for comments!

P.S. Man, nobody knows very much about fonts on the usual Linux newsgroups! General questions get answered, but get into hairy specifics, and posts just don't get any replies.
Christopher R. Carlen
address@hidden
Suse 7.3 Linux 2.4.10