Re: [Freetype] what do you test against?

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] what do you test against?
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 18:57:38 +0400

On Thursday 18 July 2002 9:13 am, Alexei Podtelezhnikov wrote:
|  This is not a rhetorical question. Fonts are of different qualities.
|  What do _YOU_ optimizer for? I think there must be a set of good ones to
| test the screen look against. What are they? Would someone name them
|  specifically with the versions given?

Hello Alexei!

Before giving to you any recommendation, please answer:

* are you going to use/test TrueType (TT) or PostScript Type1 fonts?
* if you are using TT - are you going to enable Bytecode Interpreter?
* are you going to use Anti-Aliasing at font sizes 7pt-13pt?
 (answer really depends on this)

As about Palatino Linotype - I guess posting was from me.
But you may notice that I posted twice, in deifferent time frame.
In fact, I founq quality of rendering for Linotype Palatino TTF, and Verdana
TTF, close to PERFECT, with FT 2.0.3 and TT bytecode interpreter enabled,
AA-enabled.

On th eother hand, PS auto-hinter provides quite bad results for fonts with
Serifs. Therefor, both Linotype Palatino (TTF) and TNR (TTF) are rendered
bad, as I have TT Bytecode interpreter *disabled* by default.
FreeType tries to auto-hint those fonts, but quality is not good. So, you get
bad rendering.

Hope this helps a little bit, feel fre to ask!..