[Freetype] what do you test against?

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: [Freetype] what do you test against?
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 22:13:51 -0700 (PDT)

This is not a rhetorical question. Fonts are of different qualities.
What do _YOU_ optimizer for? I think there must be a set of good ones to test
the screen look against. What are they? Would someone name them
specifically with the versions given?

On this list I have already encountered a lame discarding of a bug
report on the poor quality of Times New Roman from Monotype.
Others blamed Palatino Linotype on a different occasion. This
is fine as long as we have a perfect, approved and working set of fonts.
I'm yet to find these, or am I blind? .. no matter how complex the description
of the rules is - let us know.

Personally, I barely see diagonal stems in Courier New (bits enabled). So,
which monospace is god-sent then?

Once again, please name the fonts you like, use, and optimize for. Please dont
forget to give versions and character sets you test.

Merci,
Alexei